Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Web 2.0 Article - By Michael Stephens

I read the Web 2.0 article by Michael Stephens - well known in the PLCMC community. I enjoyed this perfect/ideal picture a web 2.0 librarian that was presented. I wish that it were reality, and I do feel like programs like this will help the future more closely parallel this vision. Having the time and resources to fulfill this goal are not always available for everyone, however. As a supervisor of a library staff, I know how important it is that we increase employee tech-saviness (is that a word, probably), but I also understand the harsh reality of the resistance faced when new technology is presented. It will be a constant struggle that most likely will not ever be completely won.

Programs like this are awesome and are doing their part to increase employees' awareness of technology, but are not entirely flawless. There is no possible way to offer this incentive to everyone simply because some locations are too busy to facilitate employee participation at work. Those employees also can't be expected to complete the steps at home (if they have access), or at the library's computer lab on their time off. This program is great - don't get me wrong - just not equally accessible to everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home