Sunday, August 13, 2006

Explanation of Why This Blog Exists

If you do not work for the Public Library of Charlotte Mecklenburg County, and you've happened across this blog, you may be a bit confused at the subject matter. As a library employee, I am participating in an eight-week program to increase employee technology competence. This program, entitled Learning 2.0, requires that we complete weekly tasks and post a blog entry discussing our participation. Upon completion of this online learning experience (there are 23 things we must complete), we will each be given a USB MP3 player and be entered to possibly win a laptop, PDA, or other technology electronics. I appreciate how this program is not mandatory, but is strongly encouraged through a reward-based program.

So, what will my blog entries be about? Of course, there will be the weekly entry about my required technology experience - I want the MP3 player; but, I also want to incorporate some other useful information at the same time. Beginning this week, I will post a series of entries about general photography tips. I will call this my "Guide to Better Photos." Most everyone takes pictures. We can archive our history, relive special memories, or share our experiences with others through photography. Have you ever been forced to look through someone's vacation or family photos and wished that you could fast forward through the moment because the experience was so excruciatingly boring? Some people are just inherently better photographers - they don't cut off people's heads, they understand the basic guidelines of composition, they don't use a flash when taking pictures through glass. By learning some basic guidelines, anyone can dramatically improve the aesthetic quality of his/her photos. Even if you can barely find the shutter button on your camera (FYI: that's the button you press to take the photo), you can benefit from this information. I will present the information in a way that is both easy to understand, and will not make assumptions about your previous photographic knowledge. It doesn't matter if you use a disposable, point and shoot, or an SLR (or, if you have no clue what you use), there is something for you. It also makes no difference if you use film or digital. I will start with the basics, and if the lessons become more than you wish to know - click the red "X" in the top right of this window.

If you have specific questions, or areas of interest (night, indoor, sports, or portrait photography..etc), let me know.

Am I qualified to provide this information? Well, that depends. I have taken several formal photography classes, but most of my knowledge comes from first-hand experience. I have owned a camera for as long as I can remember. I've gone through the trial and error, let me save you the trouble! So, to answer the original question: take a look at my work in my online gallery and decide - it's up to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home